I didn’t really make it clear what I was doing in March, I just just smashing out updates every day to try to create a cohesive, playable game out of the pre-alpha version of BA Project. The reason for this was that the deadline for submitting a playable demo to the judges at PAXAus was April 10th and I really wanted to try to get something into their hands that actually “worked”.
So I spent the entire month of March smashing through as many critical features that the game needed to actually work as a whole. With that done, I hit the Alpha milestone and announced Black Annex. Around April 7th I sent the most bleeding edge build into the PAX judges after about 30mins of playtesting and two last-second fixes. (The final playtesting is shown in the video below, recorded around 3am).
For a little fun, I built a gimmicky custom intro into the PAX build which makes it appear that you’ve launched a DOS command prompt when you run the game. It just dumps you into a DOS window reading: “C:\GAMES\BLACKA~1>”, slowly, the commend prompt types out “annex.exe /paxmode”, a fake DOS/4GW runtime starts, and then a warning saying “YOU ARE SEEING THIS SCREEN BECAUSE BLACK ANNEX WAS LAUNCHED IN ‘PAX MODE’”. The moment the player pressed a key on the keyboard, the entire computer screen instantly goes black and the demo starts.
The demo had an utterly broken Main Menu that liked to randomly drop in and out if you clicked “Begin Game” too quickly, the Options menu didn’t work, and sometimes the “BLACK ANNEX” logo itself would just disappear. The only instruction given to the player was a loading-screen hint reading “Left click to make your agents walk to a location, double-click to run.”. There were five “playable” levels, but all of them were either uncompletable due to being massively unbalanced, or completed within 10 seconds of the level starting because the mission objective was way too simple. The minigun was completely broken, if you stacked three weapon abilities none of them worked, nothing made sense. The mouse cursor was an uncontrollable wreck plagued by a bug that I’ve only now fixed two weeks later and the “Mission Deploy” screen would just randomly close sometimes as soon as it opened. Loading took up to twenty seconds per level and the game ran at about 40fps on a computer made one year ago.
I can not stress enough how little sense this game made in the demo. You were dumped into a game with way too many mechanics, none of which were explained to the player and most of which barely functioned correctly anyway and expected to find, as the PAXAus submission form said “fun factor and a great gameplay experience.”.
As the creator of Black Annex, all I see when I play it is a mess of systems interacting with a bunch of unintended things happening all over the place.
So now, me and five other Australian developers are going to be part of the Australian Indie Showcase at PAXAustralia 2013. We get to do a panel! So come to PAX and ask me about making a game or something.